My Top 10 Interesting Facts about the Bible
Sunday nights at our church we don’t hold a normal church service with a sermon, but we use this time for our bible study, which I enjoy immensely.
We have been studying Genesis and were due to go through Genesis 12:1-20 last night.
But due to the fact that a member of Martin Church of Christ (a neighboring church) passed away, and many of our members went to the viewing last night – we did something different.
Our minister – John – brought up some interesting facts about the Bible.
It is amazing at the ‘facts’ that the Bible holds, it is very interesting to read. The Bible (from Greek word Biblia meaning “the books”) is made up of sacred scripture of the various branches of Judaism and Christianity. The Bible, in its many different translations, is the best-selling book in history.
Here is my Top Ten most interesting facts from the Bible:
- The Bible was written by approximately 40 different authors, men who wrote the inspired Word of God. It is made up of 66 books, 39 books in the old testament, and 27 books in the new testament.
- There are 1189 chapters in the Bible; with 929 chapters making up the Old Testament and 260 chapters included in the New Testament.
- The middle & the shortest chapter of the Bible is – Psalm 117:1-2
- The longest chapter in the Bible is – Psalm 119:1-176
- 773,692 words are in the Bible.
- There is a total of 31,173 verses in the Bible.
- The middle verse in the Bible is – Psalm 118:8
- The shortest verse in the Bible is – John 11:35
- The longest verse in the Bible is – Esther 8:9
- The longest living person in the Bible – Methuselah lived a total of 969 years – Genesis 5:27
Other interesting “facts”:
- It is said that the words ‘Be not afraid’ appear in Scripture 366 times–one for each day of the year (leap years included).
- The Bible is the only book that states how the world came to be, the birth of man, the journey of man’s life to the present time, and even what is going to happen in the future.
- Grandmother only appears one time in the Bible – 2 Timothy 1:5
- The longest word in the Bible is – “Mahershalalhashbaz” (18 letters long) – it appears in Isaiah 8:1
Please remember that these are only “some” of the interesting facts about the Bible. Have you read your Bible today? You might learn something new if you do read it, things are still being discovered in a book that is more than two thousand years old. That is interesting in itself. God Bless, and have a Great week!
© 2011, Aills Christian Church. All rights reserved.Tags: bible study, Books In The New Testament, Books In The Old Testament, Branches Of Judaism, Facts About The Bible, Genesis 5, Interesting Facts About The Bible, John 11, Journey Of Man, Judaism And Christianity, Leap Years, Martin Church Of Christ, Methuselah, Psalm 117, Psalm 118, Psalm 119, Read The Bible, Sacred Scripture, Shortest Verse In The Bible, Word Of God